Finding the Right Natural Deodorant ~
by Eileen M Kenison
After I went organic in my diet, I then chose to try to eliminate other toxins in my daily life. First starting with my deodorant. Remember how I thought an organic diet was just a trend. If so, you know how wrong I was. I had also thought that the hype around deodorant and it’s harmful chemicals was just a trend, people have been using deodorants for ages. Right??
As a person who has always been attracted to research and knowledge I wanted to find out what was in my daily deodorant and if I should be avoiding it. What I found was eye opening.
“Deodorant” or what we all think of as deodorant is actually two products in one. For the most part they all contain an antiperspirant and a deodorant. So, what does that mean? Well, antiperspirant is exactly what is sounds like. It prevents our body from perspiring. And then the deodorant is just like a perfume, it is added to make us smell good.
Most of the deodorants that I used in my research contained an antiperspirant ingredient referred to as AZG – also commonly referred to as Aluminum. AZG acts as an antiperspirant as it does not allow our armpits to sweat. It swells our pores to the point that they close off, almost creating a plug effect. This plug does not allow the toxins to escape our bodies. Basically, AZG is considered to be a neurotoxin This is harmful enough, but where do the toxins go? These trapped toxins have been found to accumulate in or near the lymph nodes. We all know how dangerous this can be. Recent studies show that prolonged use of AZG has been linked to Cancer, Liver Disease and Alzheimer’s.
Below is a list of AZG ingredients that you should avoid:
- Aluminum Chloride
- Aluminum Chlorohydrate
- Aluminum Chlorohydrex Polyethylene Glycol Complex
- Aluminum Chlorohydrex Propylene Glycol Complex
- Aluminum Dichlorohydrate
- Aluminum Dichlorohydrex Polyethylene Glycol Complex
- Aluminum Dichlorohydrex Propylene Glycol Complex
- Aluminum Sesquichlorohydrate
- Aluminum Sesquichlorohydrex Polyethlene Glycol Complex
- Aluminum Sesquichlorohydrex Propylene Glycol Complex
- Aluminum Sulfate Buffered
- Aluminum Zirconium Octachlorohydrate
- Aluminum Zirconium Octachlorohydrex Glycine Complex
- Aluminum Zirconium Pentachlorohydrate
- Aluminum Zirconium Pentachlorohydrex Glycine Complex
- Aluminum Zirconium Tetrachlorohydrate
- Aluminum Zirconium Tetrachlorohydrex Glycine Complex
- Aluminum Zirconium Trichlorhydrate
- Aluminum Zirconium Trichlorohydrex Glycine Complex
When it comes to my organic diet, I have a saying. “Count Chemicals not Calories” So why should my motto be any different when it comes to what I apply to my skin. When it comes to all natural deodorant – “Less is More!” My current deodorant has one single ingredient.
There are plenty of deodorants on the market. When shopping for your all natural deodorant look for products that kill odor causing bacteria, and neutralize the smell of sweat rather than stopping it. After all , sweat is a necessary part of our bodies natural cooling and toxin releasing system. Look for a product that has natural antibiotic properties such as tea tree oil, witch hazel, baking soda, sage, mineral salts or lemon peel.