Keeping up with the demands of being a wife and a mother is not easy. I feel like everyone wants a piece of my time. I realize how important it is to set aside time to be with my spouse. It isn’t always easy, but as a married couple we need time to connect, catch up and remember why we love each other. We often set aside one night a week for a date night just so we can do all that.
The same idea can apply to my relationship with my kids. After rushing through the weekly demands of school, soccer practice and play dates, my kids and I could use time to connect and relax together. It gives me a break from barking commands, err um… parenting demands and we can just enjoy each other. So, we have a regular date night too.
My life before kids meant Fridays were for partying with “the girls.” Now my Fridays are for snuggling with MY girls. We make a pizza, make some snacks and watch a movie together. Sometimes we get a little take out, but making our pizza gives us time to be in the kitchen together. For me, being in the kitchen with my mom is a very fond memory and I love that I can share that with my girls.
If you want to spend some quality time with your kids set up a night each week to go on a date with one or all of your kids. You don’t have to break the bank, or do anything super fancy. Keep it simple at home, or head out to a favorite restaurant. Whatever is easiest (and most relaxing) for you!
Here Are 5 Mom and Me Date Night Ideas:
1. Dinner and a Movie– Pick out a favorite DVD, or find a movie on Netflix. Order in, or make your own pizza. It’s Friday night so do what ever is easiest and allows you to spend the most time with the kids! When my kids were really little we’d pile into my bed to watch a movie.
2. Go Stargazing– On special nights I let the kids stay up later so we cay lay out underneath the stars. It is amazing to hear the questions kids ask about the moons, the stars and life in general.
3. End The Week on a Sweet Note– Go out for ice cream, or make your own. It’s almost summer so pull out those Popsicle molds! We like to freeze good ol’ chocolate milk for a simple alternative to ice cream. These moments make for great traditions and wonderful memories.
4. Have A Sleep over- Camp out in the living room, camp in the backyard or let everyone pile into one bed. My girls love, love, love getting to kick my husband out of our room for a “no boys allowed” night. They won’t want to be this close forever, so I am happy to soak up all the extra snuggles while I can!
5. Spa Night– Kids love massages too! Boys or girls will enjoy a foot rub, or back rub after a nice bubble bath. Take turns applying a favorite lotion or oil to each other’s hands and feet. It’s a great way to physically wind down from the week. This was our first official date night when the girls were too little to watch a movie, or go for late night adventures.
This summer I am excited to try switching things up a bit and introducing my girls to a drive in movie. What are some of your favorite mom and me date night activities?
Here are 5 Best Practices for Date Night with your spouse.
The Whatever Mom is a full time wife and twin mama living on coffee and wine. She enjoys the pure rush of cleaning the potty between loads of laundry. It is her dream that moms everywhere accept and embrace the Whatever Mom philosophy which can be found here.